re: 1974 MGB

To: MGS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: re: 1974 MGB
From: Colin Brace <BRACEC@A1.MGH.HARVARD.EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 15:01:00 -0500 (EST)
       Scott Fisher Wrote:

       >The most noticeable difference is that while both the '73 and '74
       >MGBs have chrome bumpers, your car should have bug square blocks of
       >black rubber where the earlier cars had little chrome teardrops.

       Common misconception, the big rubber blocks (Abingdon wags dubbed it
       "Sabrina", sort of the same logic as "Dagmars" on US cars of the '50s,
       if you know that story) started at VIN 340000. From the beginning of
       the 1974 model year (VIN 328000 I think) to 340000 they had the bumper
       guards that were on the car since the 1970 model year, as mine does
       (336nnn), built December 1973. Fastest way to tell a '74, outside of
       the VIN, is the steering wheel slots will be "filled", where the '73
       will be open, also carb needles are different, but I don't have any
       references handy for specifics on this one.

       Hope this helps

       Colin           WA1KWA

       bracec@a1.mgh.harvard.edu

       74 MGB