Ignition locks

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Ignition locks
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 11:35:08 -0500
' Had an ignition lock failure on my '76 B last week.  ' Found out that new
ones are not available, so I found a used one.  ' Went to a locksmith to
get some duplicate keys made - for this as well as my '73 which uses the
"other" blank.  They found one blank OK (is it M 81 G?) but couldn't find
the other -  it's the one with the little oblong push-button (for what?)
just under the key slot.   After several vain attempts with Mazda and
Mercedes blanks,  on a wild hunch, I suggested Rover.  Their Rover blank
fit!  It's Ilco #X170   NE48.  Now that's enough good luck for one day.
But wouldn't it be crazy if we discovered that current Range Rovers  and/or
Land Rovers are still using the same ignition lock and that it is available
but we just don't know it?  I know - that's too much to expect - but I
can't keep it to myself.

One of you parts guys - would you step forward and  tell me I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Allen Bachelder