Re: Motor Life Expectancy...

To: "SEAN M. DRISCOLL" <N4JI@acad1.csd.unbsj.ca>
Subject: Re: Motor Life Expectancy...
From: Joanne Hershfield / Jim Fink <hershfld@email.unc.edu>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 1995 23:23:35 -0500 (EST)
Well, on a factory, or older engine, I have noticed that most
engines seem to go to the rebuilder around their first 75th-85th
Birthday, some have recently reported getting out to 120K, but, I expect
those were well cared for, and lucky surviviors, now If you rebuild well,
balance it out the wazoo, and take good care in tune ups and oil changes, I
bet 100K plus could be normal.....

My '71 had 120k when I rebuilt it and it was SHOT...... but alive....

My '73's engine, now in the '69, had 83K on it and I patched in a new oil
pump and three of five new main bearings, and all new rod bearings on an
OK crank, with original STD size, with engine in the car on a
saturday.... and have since put close to 9000 on it, doing fine....
starting to rattle a little again, but hey, 10,000 miles for $100 and a
weekend, not too bad,,,,,

My '69's engine had a rod throught the pan when I bought it, and it had
81,000 showing, speedo still working....

anyway... my .03's worth....

Jim