Re: '73 MGB, STILL running on #2 only!?? (LONG)

To: Mark Jurras <jurrasm@genesis.torrington.com>
Subject: Re: '73 MGB, STILL running on #2 only!?? (LONG)
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 1995 15:57:57 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 4 Apr 1995, Mark Jurras wrote:

> > What is the best thing I can do with these carburetors of unknown pedigree?
> > Should I attempt to clean them?  How?  Rebuild them myself?
>
> Jon,
>
> Did you try a little ether, (starting fluid) BE CAREFUL!, sprayed in the
>carbs while trying to start it to see if the problem is indeed fuel?

It *does* sound as if Jon's engine is massively mistimed somehow--either
the spark or the valves.  If that's right, spraying ether in the carbs,
whether carefully or not, is a risky thing to do.  You don't want to be
picking SU pieces out of your forehead.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910