Re: '73 MGB, STILL running on #2 only!?? (LONG)

To: Jon N Swanson <swanson@kira.ecs.umass.edu>
Subject: Re: '73 MGB, STILL running on #2 only!?? (LONG)
From: Dirk de Boer <dirk.deboer@usask.ca>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 1995 10:13:32 -0900 (PDT)
on Mon, 3 Apr 1995, Jon N Swanson wrote:

> Soooooo, that's all of the information.  Now, what the heck is the problem?
> I've been through and through the electrical end of things, and the timing,
>and
> the compression - I guess all I have left is carburetion?

If your plugs get wet there should be enough gas for it to ignite.
Your problem is likely timing or the ignition system or both.
The first thing to do is check whether your crank shaft is in sync
with the valves and the distributor. Take of the valve cover, remove
the plugs, remove the distributor cap, and by turning the engine over
by hand check whether every thing is as it should be. To be safe, do
not just check cylinder #1 but do all four. When you are convinced
that it works as it should, check whether the spark plug wires are
indeed plug into the right spot on the distributor cap and in the
right spark plug.
I think you have to start right at these basic timing things before
you do anything else. Keep us informed on your progress, since people
on the list are starting to lie awake at night pondering firing
sequences and cam timing.

Dirk