RE: Allen's predicament

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Allen's predicament
From: woodcomp@vt.edu (chris lenth)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 07:21:37 +0600
allen,

sounds like you've encountered one of the truly challenging trials of life.
I understand what you mean about Flory having trouble with a B top.  I know
that Julie, or most anyone else I know for that matter, wouldn't be able to
raise the top on my B.  The frame on mine is in such bad shape too, that you
must wiggle it down into position by pushing down on the header rail with
one hand while pushing up on the top frame above the door with the other.
Due to this, I have always been scared to let anyone else borrow the car if
the weather dictates raising/lowering the top.

I can say that I would really check out all my LBC options before succumbing
to the [shudder] miata.  Here are some ideas, no matter how silly or
unpractical.

1.  fit a B with a new top, frame and frame, the idea about loosening it was
a good one.  Use snaps instead of the peg connectors around the perimeter at
the back of the top (should be possibe with limited body modification).
Maybe grind down those flat pieces that slide in behind the doors so not so
much stretching is required.  Spend lots of time teaching. helping,
coaching, and until she is profficient at raising/lowering the top on her
own.  I really think she should be able to do this, warn her about the
problems with cold tops, etc.  This is also a great time to plug the
character, quality and charm only available in a LBC.

2.  Buy a factory hard top (for a B of course) and have someone
professionally install either T-tops or one of those lift out panels that
goes all the way across the car in it.  Again these must be easy to
remove/stow/replace. Not a convertible, but definitely sun and wind on the
ol' noggin.  Who knows, you may even start a trend wih this.

3.  Forget the top, get a good tonneau and buy her some goggles, gloves and
raingear, maybe even one of those neat old racing helmets.  [this is the low
cost option].

4.  Volunteer to go everywhere with her as her dedicated top-down/top-up
technition. Not very practical, but still better than a miata in my book.

good luck with this, our thoughts are with you

    Chris Lenth                                      _____\___
    Blacksburg, VA                               '--O-------O--'
    woodcomp@vt.edu                           1973 MGB