Re: Putting rubber bumpers on a chome bumper mg

To: Robert Rhodes <aa101479@dasher.csd.scarolina.edu>
Subject: Re: Putting rubber bumpers on a chome bumper mg
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1995 19:03:50 -0400
>On Mon, 17 Apr 1995, Robert Rhodes wrote:
>
> I found a 72 mgb conv with rubber bumpers
>installed where the chrome should have been.  It was on a personally
>owned vehicle (PVO) lot at fort jackson.  It seems that owner really
>liked the way that the rubber bumpers looked.  the job was a serious
>cobble up and I had to pass.
>
>        In looking through back issues of Classic Motor cars I ran
>accross a kit to go the opposite way, from rubber bumpers to chrome.
>Anyone have any other information on this.  It always seemed a reasonable
>enough conversion.
>
>        Rob in Columbia
>        72 Mgb
>        86 golf
>        86 Nissan Pickup

Rob - I would think that due to the removal of the body contour metal below
the tail lamps  (and a different rear valance?) that a chrome bumper
conversion would have to contain some sort of tell-tale filler material
that would be a dead give-away.  There are similar problems in front.  ' Am
curious about what the kit would contain.  I have both types, and
personally, I like each for what it is.  I can't see why convert either
type.
Allen Bachelder