Re: Funny noises in Glen's 74B (Long shots)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Funny noises in Glen's 74B (Long shots)
From: carden@eskimo.com (Chris Carden)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 01:17:48 -0700
Well, the noise doesn't sound right, but the location and occurance do: when
I replaced a motor mount, my 'B developed a knocking sound on the bottom
left under identical de-Reving conditions.  Turned out to be the exhaust
hitting against the cross member.  The clearance was such that it would only
make contact when the engine would de-torque but still be vibrating fairly
heavily.

When I checked the exhaust clearance, I "pushed" the pipe to see if it would
make contact, and it didn't.  The mechanic I consulted banged it with the
bottom of his fist and reproduced the noise no-problem.  The fix involved a
large screwdriver and less expense than an oil pan gasket.

Could be a broken bolt on the manifold/pipe join as well.

CJC