Re: brake pipes

To: mgs@autox.team.net, Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu
Subject: Re: brake pipes
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrington.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 14:22:30 -0400
>With a good pipe bender, some patience, and the old ones to use as
>a model, this was time consuming but not difficult.  The bends do not need
>to be absolutely precise duplicates of the originals - only close enough so
>the lines don't get kinked while coaxing them into the original routing.

Bending the pipes isn't a problem but if I can avoid cutting to lenght
and flaring the ends I'd go that route.

> While you're at it - you too might want to consider silicone.  Although I
> can't yet speak from experience, I look forward to brake fluid that won't
> eat paint or collect moisture.

I am using Catrol LMA right now. It doesn't seem to eat rust so if I
spill any no harm is done. I haven't decided on silicone or not after
the rebuild.

I read to schools of thought on silicone vs LMA and they seem to be
split on which is better. I do know from a friends experience that the
silicone makes the pedel feel slightly spongier though I drove the car
and it felt fine. He also stated that since it does not absorb the
water it tends to collect in the system in one spot. If that spot
doesn't bleed well in can be trouble.

Comments Welcome!

- -Mark   = =o&o