Re: various questions about a B (fwd)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: various questions about a B (fwd)
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 09:49:16 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 21 Apr 1995, Agustin de la Calle wrote:

> >      I have a couple of questions for a friend and myself over restoring
> > a 68
> > MGB.  First, what oil should I use in the carburettor dashpots?
> > Castrol 20w50
> > was my thought...since I was told 20 weight but I am unable to find
>straight
> > 20.
> Benji,
>
> Use light motor oil. Also good results shows Marvel's Mystery Oil (MMO).
> You don't need to buy the original SU dashpot oil.

I've tried MMO in my HIF4s... not good.  I switched to 20W50 and like it
much better.  Plus it is convenient since the engine uses the same.

In the Triumph (HS2s) I do use MMO and it works fine.  So, I wonder what
is really appropriate for HS4s on an MG?

In any case, my impression is:

Oil Too Thin:  Hesitation on throttle increase (mixture leans momentarily),
               Car accellerates better with richer mixture (or choke on).
               RPMs go up quickly after the hesitation.

Oil Too Thick: Smoke and/or smell on throttle increase (mixture richens
               for a short period).  Car accellerates better with
               leaner mixture.  No hesitation but throttle response
               is slow.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"9.  Creativity is great, but plagiarism is faster.  (The fifth law of
reality.) - Jack Neafsey"