An MG Pocketwatch

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: An MG Pocketwatch
From: WJAD81D@prodigy.com (MR JOHN P ELWOOD)
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 1995 18:28:47 EDT
  I've come across a watch that might be of interest to MG
Historians. (No, it's not for sale)
  The watch is an open-faced pocketwatch from the late
1920's and early 1930's.  It is solid gold, or gold filled
(meaning: mostly gold) with solid hands-- everything
ofcourse 14 carat.
  On the dial, not more than 1/2 of an inch high (less than
1cm) is a black MG octagon emblem.  Above that, MPL's, and
above that "Winters".  So it goes, "Winters"  "MPL's"  "MG"
and then just below where the hands come out, "Swiss".
  Upon opening up the back, it was found to be a Longines >>
type movement (21-Jewel) and untill just a while ago
actually ran (it does say MG on it).
  There is no engraving, or any marks of any removed
engraving!  My question is, was there a watch typically
given to departing employees at that time, and I have come
across one?  Or was this a very special watch? (it sure
wasn't cheap when it was new)
  Just for the curious, I stole it for $190 from a watch
collector that bought it because it was a Longines, not an
MG watch.  He was on hard times and had to sell!
  ANy information would be greatly appreciated.  Maybe some
body has seen a picture of it being handed over to the happy
recipient?
  THe other idea is that some one had the watch made up for
themselves.  Maybe MPL's MG dealership?  "Winters" is the
company that painted "MG" on the dial, and the "MPL's" is
still unexplained.
  Thanks for any information you may have.  Any idea of the
value?  (the bank wants to know for safety-box insurance
rates)

                                     John