1970?-1972? Midget Questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 1970?-1972? Midget Questions
From: jbyers@ids.net (James Byers)
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 1995 18:19:14 -0600
        First, thanks to everybody who let me know the story on POR-15.  I
think I'll be giving the stuff a try.  But on to the questions!...

        1.  What color should a '70 Midget engine block be painted (this
question is a repeat... I never saw a response before)

        2.  Here's one final question for you SOL sleuths... The Midge which
I  have been refering to as a 1970 is having a bit of an ID crisis.  Here
are the numbers and their explanations from Moss and Vic-Brit.

        Engine No...... 12CJ/Da/H3963
        Chassis No..... GAN 5U C 107709

>From engine info, we know that it has a 1275cc engine (check!), a
close-ratio, center change gearbox, high compression, and engine no.
3963.  This info suggests a 1970-1971 engine!

>From chassis info, we know that the the car was in fact made by MG (and
not A-H), has an engine from series A, was a 2-seater, was (is?) Mk. 4,
and was made in 1972 (the C prefix before the no. itself)!

Ok, so the question is: is there _any_ other explanation than a body /
engine swap deal?  ( Please say no... please say no... :) )

        3.  The carburator nos. are "AUC 8114" on both carbs.  This suggests
either a carb that does not exist or a Bugeye carb (1 1/8" throat diameter @
manifold) from the dark ages.  What the hell is going here?

        Thanks for any / all responses, people who got through this litany,
and good-natured flames about the non-virtues of buying crappy LBC's from
moron P.O.'s.
 '70-'72 MG Midget (Sky Blue (P.O.), Damask Red (P.P.O.), BRG (O.E.M))
            '81 Ford Bronco (To tow the Midget, of course!)
  James Byers                                          jbyers@ids.net