Re: shocks, spacesaver spares ....

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: shocks, spacesaver spares ....
From: antiques@whidbey.com (Jerry Causey & Sandra Reece)
Date: Tue, 02 May 1995 18:09:49 -0700
>1.  What is the reccomended lubricant for lever arm shock absorbers ('73)?

I don't know how compatible it is with what's in there now, but 40W fork
oil, available at any motorcycle shop, has worked exceedingly well in my '67
B for the past couple of years. It stiffens up the shocks a tiny bit, but
nothing objectionable. This was suggested by Marc Sayer at Performance
Engineering in Eugene, OR. I think he has proper Brit damper fluid as well now.

>3.  Any special hints for long trips in general, I imagine I will log
>4000-5000 miles by the time I return.   I have spare: fuel pump, lower rad.
>hose, fan belt, U joints, etc. from last years trip.

Tighten the nuts & bolts on your drive shaft u-joints, all your cooling hose
clamps, and retorque your wheel nuts. Check the oil level in the trans &
diff (but be sure not to over fill - it's a sure way to oil your rear brake
shoes).

>5.  Not a question, but:  I picked up a spacesaver spare from a SAAB 900 and
>it bolts on beautifully and the increase in trunk space over the old 185
>spare tire on LE wheel is significant.  The only downfall is the red/orange
>color,  but you know beggars can't ....

I've been wondering for a while if something like this were possible. Is the
bolt pattern an exact fit, or is it a metric "almost" fit? Is the OD pretty
close to that of the original spare, or even smaller (I have 195-60s on my
Minilite replicas)?

Sounds like a great trip! Enjoy

Jerry Causey
antiques@whidbey.com