Re: Commercial stuff on the Mail lists

To: (British Cars)british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Commercial stuff on the Mail lists
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 11:44:20 -0500
Please read:

>From the MG list:
> There are obviously some who have not yet learned of the advantages of
> having such an expert available, and may say some things out of turn,

> >     Perhaps if [someone] wishes to do business, he can mail
> >replies individually, rather then to the whole list.

Not at all out of turn. The rule here has always been to keep commercial
content to a minium. It's just a matter of educating new people on our
"local Netiquette". To address just these issues, we generated a sort-of policy
statement a couple years ago, which can be found on the SOL Server & Web.

Maybe it's been too long since it was posted to the list- sorry about duplicate
copies. (I wish everyone could access the web, and read this stuff!)

community of car owners and enthusiasts. Discussion
covers just about anything related to cars, mostly Auto-cross
and British Cars. It is free, and based on "The Internet", a
world wide interconnection of thousands of computer networks.
Access is also possible from most commercial E-Mail systems,
such as Compuserve, MCI, ATT, Prodigy, etc.

message to:
majordomo@autox.team.net

The message should just say    help.

Some lists get all messages as they are sent, others have an
option for a once a day digest of everything sent that day.
discuss and share information about British cars or Auto-x,
and related people, events, parts sources, technical info, etc.

2) Participation and contribution of related businesses and
their employees in these discussions is quite welcome and
valued.

3) Beyond casual comments within ongoing discussions or
occasional mention external services, if a company wants to do
business on the net, they should find other means to do so.

4) Republishing or using postings from the list for commercial
purposes without permission of the author(s) may be a violation
of various copyrights, and is generally frowned upon. Most
authors are happy to provide permission to have specific
postings published as long as they are asked.
can be done from any E-mail system, while more advanced
services require more advanced computer resources. Some examples:

-Send direct E-Mail to someone you think may be interested in
your product or service.

-Maintain your own electronic distribution list (one-way) for
mailings to interested parties. (Just like paper mail, only
faster, and interactive).

-Create your own e-mail discussion list, on your own, or hired
computer equipment,

-Offer electronic services, such as parts and pricing lists on
a file server; or World Wide Web server, electronic ordering; or
paid consulting via private E-Mail.

-The list can also be an excellent source for a company to get
feedback about such things as parts quality, authenticity and
other technical issues.

-Access on-line file servers with archives of past discussions,
parts & technical information, graphics images, and more.

And finally, a caution:

It's generally accepted that anything sent over the net using E-mail is
not secure- it is very easy to intercept or forge e-mail. (If you don't
beleive me, I'll send you some mail from "you"!) It is advised *NOT* to
send credit card numbers through e-mail. There are new systems being
developed for doing "electronic commerce" on the net, and insuring secure
transmission of financial information. In the mean time, e-mail and web
servers are still great for communicating prices, part numbers,
catalogues, and the likes. But the old ways should be used for the money
end of the deal.