Re: Igntion

To: RobBerning@aol.com
Subject: Re: Igntion
From: ek_john_luthy <luthy@cesd.servtech.com>
Date: Sun, 7 May 1995 19:42:02 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 7 May 1995 RobBerning@aol.com wrote:

> Thank you for all your Ideas, I am going to check them all. Here is more
> information. The firing order is ok 1342, I think it is getting gas, but when
> I go to time the car I can bearly get a pulse from cylinders 1&2, with the
> wire connected, but great pulses from 3&4. this is why I thing it is just not
> firing. Is this normal?

Basic auto shop 101
there are 3 thing needed for a engine to run
1       compresion
2       CORRECT air fuel mixture
3       a source of igntion (gas engine-spark diesel engine-heat[from
compresed gasses])
        Now your car has cyl. 1&2 dead or low power. Your first step in
diagonosis should be a compresion test. The results of the highest and
lowest radings should be within 20% of each other (I Know 20% is high but
the car should run ok) If the compression readings on cyls. 1&2 are both
low and very close to each other then there may be a head gasket problem.
        Next check for a good supply of fuel to the engine I know that you said
that the carbs are adjusted. But you can have them adjusted correctly,
ie. they flow the same amout of air but is very likley that one of them
is not delivering any gas! The most likley cause of this is a stuck
neadle and seat, the next thing would be to check that the hose frome the
float bowl to the jet is not cloged.
        Now on to ingition. If Your car starts and runs you can rule out most
ignition problems. The only things that can cause the problems that you
are discribing are dead spark plugs in cyls. 1&2, bad plug wires on
cyls.1&2, crossed wires on 1&2, and a short in the dist.cap between cyl 1&2.
And by some strange chance that the breaker cam got flat, but only for
cyls. 1&2.

        Now my experance with all cars of multiple carburation has been
that if all the cyls. that are being feed by a carb. are dead or weak the
carb is NOT doing it's job!!! This has been the case on Jags. Bemers. Bens.
Maseriti. Ferrari. , cuda, vete, tbird, and goat sixpack set ups. Volvo. Tr.
and of course an ocasional M.G., Rolls, or Bentley

        John still loking for a spelcheker Luthy

        Yes,, I can and do fix cars for a living (i think it is fun!)