Re: Igntion

To: RobBerning@aol.com
Subject: Re: Igntion
From: Larry Colen <lrcmg@red4est.felton.ca.us>
Date: Sun, 7 May 1995 22:17:56 -0700 (PDT)

> Thank you for all your Ideas, I am going to check them all. Here is more
> information. The firing order is ok 1342, I think it is getting gas, but when
> I go to time the car I can bearly get a pulse from cylinders 1&2, with the
> wire connected, but great pulses from 3&4. this is why I thing it is just not
> firing. Is this normal?

You definately have an ignition problem (perhaps others as well).

When faced with your situation, my normal response is to do a complete
ignition system tune up: points, plugs, condensor, cap, rotor & wires.
Since the problem is with both cyls 1 and 2 I would be most suspect of
the cap and rotor.  It is also possible that there is something wrong
with the distributor.  Does the shaft wobble excessively?  Worn bushings
are very common in lucas distributors. Are your points opening to .015
on all 4 cylinders?  Maybe a couple of distributor cam lobes are worn
low.

Another dumb question: Are the plug wires plugged in properly?

I am running the petronix electronic ignition with a mallory 60kV
promaster coil in my B and am very happy with both.  I've opened up
my plugs to .035, and suspect that I could run them at .050.
I'd like to run the NGK blue ignition wires (the best made) but
don't know what cars MGB ignition wires would cross over to.