Re: Top (was Signal lites)

To: Locman@aol.com
Subject: Re: Top (was Signal lites)
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 17:48:52 +0600
>Do tops strech
>as they break in or do they shrink and so consequently should be installed a
>little loose?

The vinyl shrinks and gains rigidity considerably between hot and cold, but
it's not permanent.  When the temperature drops below 50F and my top's still
down, I usually leave it down.  The only permanent shrinkage I've seen
happens after years of non-use.

>   Also does anyone have any instructions on the proper way to fold the top
>down?  A friend (non MGB owner) said not to unsnap the rear at all and just
>to fold it down as it is. I now have a small tear near the quarter window !

AIEEE!  I've watched people just undo the windshield latches and throw the
top back Fiat-style.  Alway's makes me cringe.  Not to mention that it looks
foolish, like a bastardized veedub cabriolet.  The top is supposed to tuck
neatly into the back of the cockpit.

I'll try to describe the process, but you really need pictures or a
demonstration to understand completely.

Depending on how far back your seats are, you may want to fold them forward
first.
1. Undo all connections.  The order I do is: six interior snaps, two
latches, eight lift-dots, two hooks behind doors, and the rear anchor.
2. Pull top clear of windshield frame, but not completely collapsed.  (If
your top frame is a little old and squeaky, perching it in this halfway
position is easy.  If you've just lubricated it so it swings easily, you'll
wish you were an octopus.)
3. Fold the sides at the strip of material between the quarter and rear
windows. Be extra careful that you don't fold put any fold in the windows
themselves.
4. Begin fully collapsing the frame, holding the folded rear section out of
the way.  Tuck material in between the horizontal frame members as you go.
5. Once the frame is completely folded down into the car, make sure the
latches are in the "latched" position (even though there's nothing to latch
them to anymore).  This will prevent the latches from scratching your rear
window as you . . .
6. Pull the folded rear section forward, wrapping it around the bundled up top.
7. The straps and any tonneau are mostly a matter of preference/taste.

Hope that helped.  After ten years, it's like second nature to me, so I've
no doubt forgotten to mention some bits of info.  I think I've got all the
key points, though.  The most important points to remember are not to fold
or scratch the windows.

The owners manual (lost mine) has it all.  Maybe we could talk some gracious
person into copying all the text, scanning the drawings, and posting it to
the ftp site.  Or maybe an MPEG of somebody actually doing it.
--
Jay Tilton     | Hoka hey!
jtilton@vt.edu | Hokie hi!