U-joints in '71 Midget

To: Fine Fast MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: U-joints in '71 Midget
From: Agustin de la Calle <delacall@bcmp.med.harvard.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 15:46:00 -0400 (EDT)
Dear fellow sufferers (if you have the same problem),

My latest idea (it took me awhile) where these bad vibes
that shake my Midget at 30mph might come from is that the
U-joints might be dead or stiff in a way of speaking. I
can't really check this without taking out the
engine+tranny+drive-shaft.

Is there another way of doing some work on the rear end of
the tranny? Would I have to cut a piece of tunnel away and
reweld it? Since the thick grease crust would light up
pretty well I would have to clean up the tunnel.

To bad that there's no such thing as a service lid that
would do the trick without risking the rigidity.

In the worst case I would have to bite the bullet and as
George Haynes said invest "3 hours" to pull the whole thing
and put it back together. He's fast.

Cheers and greetings to the bunch from the Rochester area,

        Gus

Agustin de la Calle               '71 MG Midget (red)
Boston, MA              delacall@bcmp.med.harvard.edu