Re: Midget with Rabies?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Midget with Rabies?
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 14:07:47 +0500
>My '67 Midget occasionally spits a litle of its radiator contents out.
>Nothing much, just a few drops here and there.  Nothing I ever worry
>about because the temp stays at acceptable levels.

I have to ask: are your sure your gauge is functioning properly?

Otherwise, what's happening may still be will within expectation.  It sounds
like, overall, you're loosing very little coolant.  My B runs fine in the
temp. dept. (ranging from 180 to 190).  Of course, when I shut the engine
off the temp rises to 210 and higher.  I have a mechanical gauge so I can
monitor this.  When the coolant system is "over" full it will blow out some
fluid through the overflow vent at the neck of the radiator.  It did this
one or twice and then stopped, and coolant levels remain stable.  Is this
what you're seeing?  How old are your hoses?

>The gasket at the inlet tube is
>flaky, so it could be sucking air in,

Your coolant system should be under (+) preasure, so doubtful it is sucking
air *IN*.

>or is this indicative of a blown
>head gasket.

Is there oil in the coolant?  Coolant in the oil?  White or blue smoke out
the tail pipe?  Signs of coolant leakage around the head gasket?

>I'm going to replace the thermostat and inlet gasket
>tonight.

couldn't hurt.

>BTW, on the ride to work this morning, the temp was still fine.

As long as your gauge is accurate :-)

Will "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" Zehring