Quality tops

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Quality tops
From: Dick Burger <BRITISHPARTS@delphi.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 19:22:12 -0400 (EDT)
Tried to stay out of this one but couldn't.  Have been following
the discussion of tops and would like to make a few comments.
        I have been in the parts business for a bit(and some would
say I have not learned a thing) but I do have some observations. I wonder
if thickness and quality are the same?  It would seem to me that a
thick bit of material will be stressed more on the outside of the
folds when packing the hood.  It should be noted that all manufacturers
have a range of prices and quality and therefore carefull shopping
is in order.  The UK does produce some nice tops and they also
supply "econo" tops to some US firms.  Prestige is the company
I see listed here most often and believe that they do make good stuff,
but also a variety ofqualities.  The same hold true of Us makers.  We
have had very good luck with AMCO tops.  People have been satisfied with
the goods and the price.  I am sure other suppliers have equally good
stuff.  OE seems to be often confused with better quality.  Remember
that the sports car coompanies were working with limited funding and
were driven by the bottom line.  I leave it to you if this means
"OE" is better.
        I also know of just enough horror stories from international
purchases gone bad to suggest that care is needed.  Many will suggest
that the domestic companies have problems as well and although true
it seems the dealings are abit easier when on the same side of the ocean.
        Fit as a function of quality is worth thinking about as I have
seen all different qualities look good when carefully and skillfully
installed.  I have also seen excellant tops look badly when not well
fitted.  My guess is that the moderately priced, carefully installed
top will service as well as the more costly.  The rigors of storing
and raising tops probably stresses the various materials about the
same and determines the useful life.
Well enough...sorry to be long and "soapboxy"
Dick Burger