Re: Quality tops

To: Dick Burger <BRITISHPARTS@delphi.com>
Subject: Re: Quality tops
From: Nick Benson <grayoak@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 May 1995 04:17:03 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 19 May 1995, Dick Burger wrote:

> Tried to stay out of this one but couldn't.  Have been following
> the discussion of tops and would like to make a few comments.
>       I have been in the parts business for a bit(and some would
> say I have not learned a thing) but I do have some observations. I wonder
> if thickness and quality are the same?  It would seem to me that a
> thick bit of material will be stressed more on the outside of the
> folds when packing the hood.  It should be noted that all manufacturers
> have a range of prices and quality and therefore carefull shopping
> is in order.  The UK does produce some nice tops and they also
> supply "econo" tops to some US firms.  Prestige is the company
> I see listed here most often and believe that they do make good stuff,
> but also a variety ofqualities.  The same hold true of Us makers.  We
> have had very good luck with AMCO tops.  People have been satisfied with
> the goods and the price.  I am sure other suppliers have equally good
> stuff.  OE seems to be often confused with better quality.  Remember
> that the sports car coompanies were working with limited funding and
> were driven by the bottom line.  I leave it to you if this means
> "OE" is better.
>       I also know of just enough horror stories from international
> purchases gone bad to suggest that care is needed.  Many will suggest
> that the domestic companies have problems as well and although true
> it seems the dealings are abit easier when on the same side of the ocean.
>       Fit as a function of quality is worth thinking about as I have
> seen all different qualities look good when carefully and skillfully
> installed.  I have also seen excellant tops look badly when not well
> fitted.  My guess is that the moderately priced, carefully installed
> top will service as well as the more costly.  The rigors of storing
> and raising tops probably stresses the various materials about the
> same and determines the useful life.
> Well enough...sorry to be long and "soapboxy"
> Dick Burger

Good input Dick...it would be nice if there was some kind of rating on
tops, such as longevity, ease of fit etc. etc.  At the end of the day, as
auto lovers/restorers we want the top to "be right."
If it were brake parts we wouldn't worry so much since we know that they
have to meet a safety standard....or do they ;)

Nick D. Benson
Dept. of Industrial Sciences
Colorado State University
Fort Collins  CO