Lever Shock Oil

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Lever Shock Oil
From: "Ramm, Andy" <ARAMM@sv.tbgi.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 9:08:17 -0400
Like most motorcycle nuts, I'm occasionally playing with the weight and
level of oil in my forks to adjust the damping.  There is usually an
optimal recommended setup for each given bike for a given application.
Also, as fork seals wear, heavier oil can be added to restore the ride,
and of course, old oil can be changed outright.

My question is, can I change the oil in the lever shocks in my Midget,
and what are the recommended weights and volumes?  Has anyone tried using
motorcycle fork oil?  Am I completely nuts for even asking? Should I
simply pony-up on a set of rebuilts?

My other question goes back to the leaf-spring thread.  I'd like to
replace mine, as a re-arch on these old pieces of crud seems hardly worth
it.  Is it possible to add more leaves for better handling?  I do NOT
want to lower the car, but would like to improve cornering performance.

Also, how do I tell if my car was originally equipped with a front
anti-sway bar?  There is no bar on the car at the moment, and I suspect
it was pilfered before I bought it.

Thanks in advance!

Andy Ramm

'67 Midget Mk III -- Smidgin