Saggy springs, Silverstone, Houston Car Show

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Saggy springs, Silverstone, Houston Car Show
From: GARYCINE@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 May 1995 18:34:58 -0400
Thanks for the information on the saggy rear springs.  My Midget has been low
on the left for so long that I probably wouldn't recognize it if it sat up
level!

I just got back from England where I attended the MGCC meeting at Silverstone
racetrack.  Unfortunately I spent the whole time inside a tent selling a new
videotape I have produced.  However, when I did get a brief look outside I
saw some absolutely incredible M.G.s ranging from MGRV8s all the way back to
vintage models from the 1920's.  Needless to say it took all of my strength
to stay in the tent at my trade table and not go wandering about.

I was pleased to have visits from Jean Cook (Cecil Kimber's daughter) and
Wilkie Wilkinson (of Bellevue Garages fame).  My video deals with historical
M.G. topics so I suddenly got a bit sweaty-palmed when I realized that one of
the gentlemen filling in an order form for the tape was none other than famed
M.G. historian Mike Allison!  I'd be interested to know his reaction to the
program.

I asked Jean Cook and Jim Simpson (another longtime M.G. employee who started
at the company in 1930) about this mysterious pocketwatch with an M.G. logo
that was being discussed some weeks ago on this list.  Neither of them had a
clue as to its origin.

I got to visit briefly with a gentleman named Chris Gilbert who has a trim
and upholstery shop in Abingdon.  It seems that he spent some 13 or 14 years
working at M.G.s in Abingdon doing trim work on Midgets.  When I told him
that I have a 1977 Midget he assured me that he most likely did the trim work
on my car!  Nice to talk to someone from the birthplace.

Another exciting thing was that the new MGF was in the same tent where I was
stationed.  It's a very pretty car in person.  I told the Rover rep that I
hope they make them for the U.S. soon because after 18 years I'm due for a
new sportscar.

This particular car was a very strange color...I think it is called
Pearlescent Amaranth.  Sort of an eggplant color that changes with bluish
highlights as you walk around it.  I didn't like it much at first but it did
grow on me over the two days.

I'd like to hear from any other list members who made it to Silverstone to
see what they thought of the MGF.

Also, if any of you are within driving distance of Houston, Texas you might
be interested in the Houston M.G. Car Club All-British Motor Vehicle Expo.
 This is the 6th year for the show and it will be held June 17th and 18th.
 There is a funkhana and swap meet on the Saturday and the car show on
Sunday.  All British cars and motorcycles are welcome.  I am told we had
about 170 vehicles on display last year.  For more information call David at
(713) 681-5467, Derek at (713) 497-8763, or Cole at (713) 497-0521.

Well, I guess I've rambled on enough already.  As a good friend of mine used
to say, "Keep the tach in the black!"

Gary Watson
1977 Midget 1500
1948 MGTC (basket case)