Re: tire size - 155 or 165 for MGB?

To: The Warped Goat <dedwards@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Subject: Re: tire size - 155 or 165 for MGB?
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 11:59:03 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 26 May 1995, The Warped Goat wrote:

> I was going to rotate my wheels on my MGB yesterday and discovered that the
> rear tires are 155x14 while the fronts are 165x14.  Is this normal?  Aren't
> one's tires supposed to be the same size?  Shall I rotate them and put the
>big
> tires on the back and the small ones on the front?  They are all radials.
>
> Benjy Edwards.

Actually, you have the right tires, but they have gotten mixed up.  As you
have been reading here on the MGs list, B's tend to sag on the driver's
side.  The company engineers solved this by installing 165x14 tires on the
driver's side, and 155x14 tires on the passenger side.  Apparently,
someone cris-crossed yours.  All you have to do is ensure that the larger
tires are on the driver's side, and you are set.

Incidentally, the same engineers later were given the problem of meeting
USA bumper height requirements, and solved it by raising the entire car.

I am forwarding a copy of this historical info to the britcars list for
their edification and possible application to other marques.  Always
remember, the reason british cars are wonderful choices for amateur
restorations is that amateurs designed and built them in the first place.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910