Re: MGB WHEELS AND HEADS

To: Ocast15@aol.com, AUTOX@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB WHEELS AND HEADS
From: Posidrive@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 May 1995 01:00:57 -0400
On Friday. 5/26, Ocast15@aol.com wrote:

"I've gotta finish my EP MGB, (my wife says I have to stop using the family
wagon), and I need a set of rims. All I can find is minilites or panasports,
but they're kinda pricey for what they are (one piece wheel desiegned 30
years ago), and I was just wondering if any one out there had any other
suggestions.  I'm looking for function not form, and size is based on price.
On that note does any one have any recommendations on size?  I was thinking
about 15x6 in the front and 15x7 in the rear.  The fenders are not flared so
I'm working in a sorta tight spot.  (wife says fender flares are a no go at
this time)."
***
REPLY: If you're an SCCA member (and it sounds like you are), there seem to
be lots of sources for wheels in the back of every issue of Sports Car
(magazine). You could also look in Grassroots Motorsports magazine. If price
is a top consideration, I always see an ad for steel wheels, any size, any
offset, for around $175 for a set of 4 in the back of Sports Car magazine--I
forget the advertiser, but it's there every month. Of course, if price isn't
an object, there are other well-respected wheels, such as Dura-Lights, and
Revolutions (advertised as the SCCA's "#1 Wheel"), which are not 30-year old
designs. As for size, I once had 15x6 alloy wheels on my MGB, with 195/60-15
tires (street), and I got sidewall rubbing on the rear wells, even after
shaving them (the wells) as much as possible. Unless you flare the wells, I
would strongly recommend staying with a 14x6 wheel, presuming you're talking
about autocrossing your B. Remember, too, a larger wheel/tire combination
will produce an effectively lower final drive ratio, when what you want is a
higher final drive ratio for better acceleration. I run my 1970 MGB in EP
Solo II, and I find that 185/55-14 Hoosier Autocrossers are a very nimble,
sticky tire that fit nicely. Remember, too, that you'll have to change those
huge 15x7 wheels/tires at the event (unless you'll be trailering your MGB to
the event) by hand.
Wheel sources: Racing Wheel Services, (215) 945-3834; Keizer Racing Wheels,
(602) 893-3557; Taylor Corp. (Duralights)- (515) 276-0992;