Re: more news on broken speedo

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: more news on broken speedo
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 08:13:07 +0500
>Well, after much fiddling behind the dash I extracted the speedo gauge and
>disconnected the cable.  I tried pulling on the inner cable, but it doesn't
>budge.  That's bad, because now it must be something else.  Tomorrow I'll jack
>up the car and look at the other end.  What should I look for in the angle
>gear?
>
>Looks like an expensive repair now...

TWG:

Hold the phone!  Before you jack up the car, just roll it in the driveway
(or take it for a short spin around the block).  If the inner cable rotates
then it is less likely to be a problem at the tranny, angle drive or in the
cable itself.  (Unless you've already done this and I missed that).  OTOH,
it still could be the cable: if it sheared it may have caught up in the
wrapping on the cable's housing.  Think positive; start with the cheep
and/or easy parts first.

Will "positively cheep" Zehring