Re: Midget Handling

To: ARAMM@sv.tbgi.com
Subject: Re: Midget Handling
From: Alan Tong <alan@picotech.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 09:33:45 GMT
In your message dated Wednesday 24, May 1995 you wrote :

> My other question goes back to the leaf-spring thread.  I'd like to
> replace mine, as a re-arch on these old pieces of crud seems hardly worth
> it.  Is it possible to add more leaves for better handling?  I do NOT
> want to lower the car, but would like to improve cornering performance.
>
> Also, how do I tell if my car was originally equipped with a front
> anti-sway bar?  There is no bar on the car at the moment, and I suspect
> it was pilfered before I bought it.

Andy,

Don't worry too much about the rear suspension on a Midget, it does not make a
lot of difference to the handling.  The problem is with body roll, as you go
around a corner the amount of roll causes one of the rear wheels to lift up so
that it can not provide any drive.  This makes the back end want to flip out
when cornering and accelerating.

The first handling mod that you should make to a midget is to fit (or uprate)
your anti roll bar.  It does not coat a lot and transforms the handling of the
car.

As you do not have a roll bar, check the front side of your wishbone pans, they
should have three holes drilled in them, if not you will have to get new pans.
Next check if the front chassis legs have two tapped holes for the mounting
brackets.

You will probably be best off with a 11/16 roll bar (see below)

                    Road Use         Race Use
Chrome Bumper       11/16            3/4
Rubber Bumper       3/4              7/8

For road use, polyurathane mounting bushes are best (standard rubber are too
soft and dont last long), for race use nylatron or even solid mounts.

If you want to improve matters further try the following (in order of
importance).

1.  Uprate the anti roll bar.
2.  Get rid on the spacer plates on the rear spring front plate (1500 only)
3.  Uprate the front springs for chrome bumper, dont lower but uprate to about
350lbs.  For Rubber bumper uprate to 350lbs and also drop by 1 inch (1 1/4 if
you have low profile tires).
4.  Change your tires for 165/70R13 profile.  You can get away with 175 unless
you have wire wheels.
5.  Uprate the front dampers by about 30%
6.  Replace the rear spring shackle bushes with polyurathane or even nylatron
bushes to reduce the sideways movement of the springs.
7.  Lower the rear springs by 1 inch, but DO NOT uprate them as this will
reduce
travel and cause the rear wheels to lift off the ground.

The midget is already has good handling (better than the MGB anyway) and with
the above mods is a joy to drive.  I will be having a test drive in the new MGF
soon, I only hope it is as much fun to drive as my Midgets.

Our club is preparing an article on Midget handling, if anyone wants any more
details let me know.

Regards
Alan Tong
Enfield Area MGOC
"Who's General Failure & why's he reading my disk?"