Re: leaf spring sag

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: Re: leaf spring sag
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 1995 12:24:03 -0500 (PDT)
Glenn Schnittke writes:
> My '74 roadster does the same thing and I HAVE A THEORY! Could it be because
> of the amount of time we spend driving the things by ourselves?

Actually, I've been spending an abnormally large amount of time thinking
about this, and I have a theory as well (which, coincidentally, involves
Glenn's).

An unoccupied car will sit perfectly flat and level provided:
- the surface itself is flat and level,
- the suspension components are not worn, and
- the weight of the car is perfectly evenly distributed from side to
  side.

It's this last bit that I've been thinking on.  An unoccupied 'B has an
uneven weight distribution, with slightly more mass on the left side of
the car:  Induction system, Exhaust system (the manifold is heavy!),
Steering column, even the Spare tire has a bias towards the left!

Now, in Jollye Olde, this is presumably offset by the weight of the
driver, but in most parts of the world the pilot only magnifies the
problem.  Do any of you on the East side of The Pond (or the South side
of The Ball) have cars that sag on the right?

A further thought:  Though a battery doesn't approach the weight of a
driver, in theory a single 12-volt on the passenger's side will
alleviate the situation a bit.

--

Todd Mullins
todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil     On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer with "Twin 6-volt batteries mounted in balanced
                     positions." (see w-mgb6.gif)