Re: tap-n-die sets

To: MGS <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: tap-n-die sets
From: "Palmer, Lew (UCI)" <LEW@p01.uci.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 95 10:14:00 PDT
>Taps are very useful, but you need relatively few sizes.  Start with
>10-32, 1/4-28, 5/16-24, 3/8-24, and 7/16-20 (all are NF threads) and a
couple of decent T-handles to fit the square ends

In fact, although LBCs stopped using BSF/Whitworth threads back in the
mid-50s, they never really gave up on the BA threads. Whitworth was a coarse
thread while BSF was the engineering (fine) thread - somewhat akin to (but
not the same as) SAE threads. BA, however, was used on fine thread small
diameter machine screws. Again, akin to but not the same as American
numbered screws, e.g. 10-32.

Having said all that, 10-32 is close to, but not exactly the same as a 2BA
pitch. By far and away, the 2BA is the most common small diameter screw
found on LBCs, but there are often others - especially in electrical items.
The purchase of a set of BA taps (and maybe even dies) is an excellent
investment. They are still commonly available in the UK as they are still in
common use. Or at least they were when I was last in the UK in 1987. As I
recall, I bought mine at an autojumble for around 50p each.

Perhaps, some of our UK members could be cajolled into doing their fellow
MGers on this side of the pond a favor, and making a set available to those
in need.

Regards,
Lew Palmer
lew@uci.com