Re: calif smog

To: tj@giant.sbay.ftp.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: calif smog
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 1995 01:52:29 -0400
re:TJ's 66B smog problem:
I used a product by Wynn's this time in my 67, can't for the life of me
remember what it was, something like "smogcheck", and even though it was
still running closer to "my way" than "their way" it passed with flying
colors. oops, my spelling... _colours_!
The car also ran LOUSY until I added some fresh fuel over the additive,,, but
I didn't have to tweak it at all at the station to pass, so I accept the
tradeoff.
I have heard semi-miracle reports about this stuff, even from a local lbc
fan/smog mechanic who demonstates by having a car that has just flunked on
his machine pass after it's been added to the tank and bounced around for a
few moments.
Things it will not cure: misfires, super-rich or lean mixtures, too-high
idle, timing over advanced or over-retarded

Check your distributer advance(make sure it works and that it doesn't leak
vacuum), dwell, timing, (try about 5btdc measured static), mixture, get the
idle below 950rpm, and patch up any vacuum leaks, INCLUDING worn throttle
shafts. In my experience a car with much more than a *little*  bit of wear on
the shafts will run just ratty enough, with a "little" miss (like a "little"
pregnant?) to never pass the test.
The other big vacuum leak spots are the pcv diaphram, the hose to the
manifold from above, and all those little bolts on the manifold that do
nothing.
Cure: new diaphram (<$10), new hose piece (2") and clamps, and plumbers putty
or tape on all those bolts in the manifold. Also renew all the
carb/heatshield/manifold gaskets and the main manifold gasket.
With a good tuneup (include valve setting)  and new air filters , your car
will now run wonderful, and *might* even pass the test.
Best of Luck, and, remember these guys come election time....