Re: What Color is Your Head?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What Color is Your Head?
From: TJ Noto <tj@giant.sbay.ftp.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 95 02:17:45 EDT
First of all, sorry for the cross-posting if it's inappropriate.  I've not
been on the brit-cars list for a year or more and the mg list wasn't around
back then.  Dunno how much stuff gets cross-posted between the two.

In any event, the reason for my re-subscription is as follows:

The car in question is a well-running and rebuilt (engine anyway) 1966 MGB.

Living here in the state of California we're required to get cars of this
vintage and newer smog checked every two years.  For the past 6 I've never
had a problem.  Been going to the same guy who'd let me tweak the SU's
(rebuilt BTW) while it was on the scope till we got it to pass.  It was never
too much trouble, although the car ran poorly and I'd just take her home and
put her back to stock!  :)

Well last time I wasn't so lucky. . .we spent 4 hours and at least 10
different runs trying to get her through and no go. . .cleaned the machine
which does the test, even took her to another station. . .still no joy.

That was months ago, before the wet and rainy never ending winter we had (and
continue to have it seems).  Hints of summer are appearing however and I
really would like to get my LMGB back on the road.

So. . .any special tricks anyone knows about to get LBC's through smog?

I've heard that putting Ethanol based gas in the tank helps. . .and also that
the Water Begone stuff which you pour in the tank helps too (for the same
reason, it has ethanol which burns cleaner).

Obviously, leaning and retarding appropriately helps reduce emmissions, but I
still couldn't get her through..

Fingers Crossed,

TJ Noto         Palo Alto               CA              USA
66 MGB
69 Triumph TR6R (two-wheeled variant)
95 Ducati 900SS SP (two-wheeled Ferrari)