Seeking advice on '77 MGB king pin repair/replacement

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Seeking advice on '77 MGB king pin repair/replacement
From: Ron Peterson <ron@dvcorp.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 1995 18:02:37 -0400
My '77 MGB's kingpins have frozen to the bolt which holds them to the
lower A-arm (a common problem I'm told, resulting from insufficient
lubrication).  As a result the bolt has sawed part way through the A-arm
and the arm in turn has sawn half way through the bolt on the passenger
side of the car.  I've talked to a place that repairs MG's and am told
it could cost me from $400 and up plus parts to replace one kingpin so
I'd like to consider doing it myself.  There seem to be several areas
of concern here though.

 * How to get the old kingpin off?  The bolt is rusted solid to it and
hence there is no way to remove it from the A-arm.  Should I try getting
a saw inside the A-arm and cut through the bolt?  There seems to be very
little clearance there.  Is the connection to the steering mechanism
difficult to seperate?

* Bushings.  New king pins don't seem to come with the bushings installed.  Is
this just a question of tapping them into place or should the kingpin
be reamed to match the bushing?  If it requires reaming where can I get
it done?  Can I buy kingpins with the bushings already in place?

* Used kingpins.  Should I consider trying to get a used kingpin off a
junked vehicle or from someone on the net and using it instead of buying
a new one?

* Alignment.  On reassembling a new kingpin assembly is there anything
special that has to be done in the way of alignment or shims?

    Ron@dvcorp.com