Re: clutch bleed method?

To: LYN MARKMAN <landl@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: clutch bleed method?
From: Nick Benson <grayoak@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 1995 12:00:09 -0600 (MDT)
        I can see that there will be much chat on this subject.

The Midget has a red see through flexible hydraulic line for its clutch.

I had the same problem moving that air bubble.  The awkwardness of
bleeding this out is hard to describe, but let's say this - by the time
you've pumped out some clutch fluid, locked the nipple back, and
re-started the process, that bubble has moved back up again.  The Midget
clutch line is almost vertical, causing it to be a difficult line to bleed.
I cured mine by changing the master cylinder, (which was letting in air),
and using a large kids balloon.  You inflate the balloon, stretch it over
the neck of the master cylinder reservoir, and open up the bleed nipple.
It's slow but *continuous*, which is what you need.  This method came
from a book published by the MG Owners' Club, which has been worth the
$7:50 I paid for it.

I tried one of those "Eezibleed" kits from Victoria British and it was
useless. It uses tire pressure, and even at the recommended 4psi from the
spare, it spewed fluid out from under the cap on the brakes and clutch
reservoirs.  I sent it back to them!

Nick D Benson
Dept. of Industrial Sciences
Colorado State University