Re: MGA in Heat!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGA in Heat!
From: MG1935@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 1995 11:36:09 -0400
On 95-06-24 Jerry Kaidor wrote:

>Boy its hot in the Bay Area today!  Must be over a hundred!  I drove
my MGA to work today - thirty miles each way - would it make it?  No problem;

engine temp reached 190 on the trip down.  The trip back was even hotter, and
that little engine protection gauge showed 200 degrees.  That's when I
turned on the heater.  Then the driver got hot :-).
All in all, I think the 'A did pretty good.

A couple of years ago one of our Texas MG club members, who owns an
automotive repair shop and is considered our club tech. guru, experimented
with different ways to lower the running temp of the MGA.  He tried several
things such as a special radiator core and electric fans.  What he did find
that was most effective and cost NOTHING AT ALL was to turn the grille slats
slightly forward allowing more air flow.  He discovered this during his
experiments by accident while driving the A on a 100+ degree day with the
grille removed.
Note also that while 190-200 degrees is very hot, it is not "overheating" as
described as boil-over.  I agree, it did do well!

Mark Dement
'35 PA
'59 MGA