Re: MGA in Heat!

To: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu
Subject: Re: MGA in Heat!
From: TRIFARI@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 1995 03:37:43 -0400
Here are some other thoughts.  I have a 1955 Healey, and I blocked off the
side passages so all air is forced thru the radiator.  At one time I owned
several MGAs (one had a B engine with OD trans), and I can't remember if
there is open space at the side of teh radiators or not.  Anyway, Geoff
Healey wrote article several years ago in which he said that becasue fo the
open spaces around the radiators, air could come in through the radiator,
then would circlew around and come back in through the front again.  In
short, hotter and hotter air was passing thru the front of the rad, causing
overheating at low speeds or idle.  I cut baffles out of metal flashing for
my Healey to stop the problem.  Other Healey owners used block of foam rubber
to close up the open spaces.  A lot of Healeys use hood vents (louvers) also
to cut down heat.   John Trifari   1955 Austion-Healey BN1/1980 MGB