Paint, Urethane v. Enamel?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Paint, Urethane v. Enamel?
From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 09:35:06 -0400 (EDT)
MG Friends-

After 3 years of cutting, fitting, welding, grinding, sanding
and procrastinating (mostly the later), my 73 B is finally
ready for the painter.  I have two estimates for re-spraying
and while the difference on paper is only a single word
(Acrylic Urethane vs. Acrylic Enamel) the difference on the
bottom line is many $$$- about 20% higher.

When I asked the painter if the casual observer could visually
distinguish between the two, he said *No way- and both are excellent
paint*.  I asked to see other cars that this shop has painted
with each type and have to agree- I cant tell the difference.
What he did mention, was that if the car will be kept outside,
subject to harsh weather, UV, etc. the urethane *may* hold up
better in the long run (like 10-15 years). As the car will be
garaged, this is not that big of an issue.

FWIW, the brand of urethane is Glasurit, the enamel is DuPont
Centauri.  I have heard that DuPont Imron is an excellent
paint; the shop said it is overkill for an auto, but will use
it if I so desire.  I am afraid to ask for the Imron cost.

Some background: the B will be stripped of old paint and etch
primed regardless. My goal for this car is not trailer/show quality
but a head-turning casual driver.  To that end, what is your vote?
Anyone had experience (good or bad) with either type paint.
I'd like to get the car to him by the end of the week.

--Scott

   Scott Hower  --> howersl@ttown.apci.com
   Air Products & Chemicals, Inc.             'Managing programmers
   7201 Hamilton Blvd Trexlertown, PA      is like trying to herd cats'
   (610) 481-2646                                      --Anonymous