Crashed box

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@MVDNS1.MV-oc.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Crashed box
From: TUSLER%MP050@MPA15AB.mv-oc.Unisys.COM
Date: 26 JUN 95 10:03
  I can't seem to get this to go through on British-Cars, so I'll limit it to
MGS....

Last monday TINTIN's transmission ate the first-motion-shaft-to-
second-motion-shaft bearing, as evidenced by the can-of-bolts
noise in first gear that diminishes through the gears until it
disappears in fourth.  So it's time for that rebuild.  Synchro was
gone in second, going in third, and a clicking sound in first.
This all only 18,000 mi. after I had it rebuilt by a local British car
shop...
  SO!  What specialized tools might I need? I've got a straight feeler
gauge, a camera, sockets and wrenches...  I've removed that engine and/or
transmission two or three times already... What else should I undertake
while I have the engine out? I'm considering replacing the oil pump (120k mi.)
and cleaning out the oil sump, replacing the oil pressure switch. Also,
I want to put some thermal insulation between the exhaust and my right
foot.  Get the radiator rodded out, get that temp gauge fixed...
  Should I get a micrometer? What sort? Rent or buy?  Any other tools?
Is the conversion to the steel synchro in second worth it? The conversion
to the later laygear?  Should I even attempt this, never having
dismantled a crashbox before?
  Any SOLs in the Newport Beach,CA area care to lend a hand or advice or
heckle?

*Philippe Tusler - Newport Beach, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*A-Mail:   <TUSLER@MP050>                | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: TUSLER@MP050.MV-OC.unisys.com | "N/A"      '88 ISUZU Trooper*