MG name

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MG name
From: David Simpson <davids@cybergate.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 15:45:18 -0700 (PDT)
As far as "MG" not being anything  but a doodle,
1) it wouldn't be the first time someone found a catchy letter combo
   first, and THEN thought up the acronym to fit.
2)Lots of other letters would fit nicely into an octogon, some maybe
  better than MG. CK comes to mind. Or EG or GM or...
3)In the U.K. the word 'garage' refers to more than just a part of a
  house. What we call a 'shop' they call a garage. So something like
"Morris Auto Works" would translate into 'Morris Garage' nicely.

This is not to say the 'doodle' theory is incorrect, but the particular
combination of M and G may have been chosen because it could be used to
stand for something not totally unrelated. Who knows? Mr. Healey's
account is not to be dismissed lightly, if at all.
        I've heard people swear it stands for "Morgan's Garage".
Dave Simpson