Re: Fool Injection

Subject: Re: Fool Injection
From: John Van Valkenburgh <jvan@nando.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 19:11:29 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Jay Tilton <jtilton@vt.edu>
>Subject: Fuel injected B
>I just got the June issue of British Car.  Is anybody else out there
>feeling a bit giddy over next issue's tech article on throwing a fool
>injection system on a B?  >:)  (fiendish grin)

Hmmm.  Actually I had thought of putting fuel injection on my '70B.

I thought about using part of the SU carb throttle body to regulate air
flow, and using some off the shelf injectors.  Sort of a throttle body
injection system.  I don't think I'd use an air-flow sensor.  I think I
could use a throttle position sensor and then calculate air flow based on
RPM.  I think I'd have to have some sort of vacuum transducer to help
determine the engine load.

It would also be interesting to regulate the ignition advance based on
engine demands, but that could be a seperate system in itself.

I would need to put an oxygen sensor in the exhaust manifold to determine
if I need to make minor adjustments to the mixture.  I could by trial and
error, create a "table" or formulia for the initial mixture settings,
and store them in an EPROM.  This table could then be read into an
EEPROM and be tweeked by the microcontroller over time.

I'd use something like a Motorola 68HC11 microcontroller, or even perhaps
one of the fast DSP based micros that TI makes.

Unfortunately it will likely be one of those things I always wanted to do
but never got around to.

Sorry if I strayed too far off the LBC content, but thats one project
I've wanted to do for a long time :)

John Van Valkenburgh
Raleigh, NC