Re: MGB questions

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB questions
From: "Eric L. Van Iderstine" <elv1@ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 13:09:04 -0500 (CDT)
On Thu, 29 Jun 1995, W. Ray Gibbons wrote:

> Question 1:  Where were they on the 18V engines?  One thought is that a
> dpo put an 18V pulley on an earlier engine.

On the 18V engine, the timing marks are at about 10:30 if you are looking
at the front of the engine.

> Question 2:  Are the crankshaft pulleys on Bs made in two parts with a
> rubber insert?  My original thought was that they might be, and the two
> parts may have slipped.  There is a groove around the front side of the
> pulley, but I cannot detect any rubber ring in this groove.

I would expect there to be a rubber ring in that groove, I just looked at
mine.  I don't know for sure, but the rubber would only make sense.

> Question 3:  Is there any way a crankshaft pulley can be put on wrong?

No, it is keyed to the shaft.

> Question 4:  Is there any way this all could be explained by a failure of
> a dpo to properly align the marks on the timing chain sprockets?  My gut
> instinct is that altering ignition timing can't compensate for bad valve
> timing, but I have not thought it through (I get a headache).

Good question, though I would expect that even one tooth away that you
would experience backfiring and no power (and that is if the engine would
even start) since the valves would not be opening anywhere near the right
time.

Eric

Eric L. Van Iderstine - ME - Mississippi State University
elv1@Ra.MsState.Edu     http://www2.msstate.edu/~elv1
74 MGB & 85 Buick (until I finish the MG)

"An object at rest cannot be stopped." The evil midnight bomber
what bombs at midnight    FROM "THE TICK"