Re: MGB questions, comments (long)

To: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: MGB questions, comments (long)
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 11:00:00 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 29 Jun 1995, W. Ray Gibbons wrote:

> I have had little time to poke around on the BGT I'm evaluating, but I
> have a bit more info.
        ((SNIP))
> If it were my car, I'd take the distributor out and check, but it isn't
mine.  I am reluctant to fiddle with it at this point.....

This seems out of character for you Ray.

> This car steers like a truck, in comparison with Kermit the frogeye.

  I feel compelled to tell you that you will remain disappointed with the
handling of the MGB even after the suspension is in tip-top shape.  Every
MGB I've owned or driven handled like a truck.  They SEEM much more
heavy and clumsy than the Midgets and Spits, even though they're not that
much heavier.  Even our 65 B, with gas shocks all the way round, V-8
bushings, new rear springs, rebuilt kingpins etc.. felt awful.  I thought
Dianne would like it because it was cute and stuff, but nothing doing.
She felt unsafe with the poor roadhandling and I couln't fault her for
that.
  Sure you can pack it full of fat swaybars, low profile tyres, racing
springs and pack the lever shocks with STP, but somehow I don't see you
taking that course.
  Not to poop on your picnic, but the B will never have the light feel of
Kermit.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6