Another ignition timing question

To: mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Another ignition timing question
From: MarvinCX2@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 03:23:37 -0400
On my 67 MGB, I set the ignition statically (sp?).  I am pretty confident
about the job I did there, the timing is set to spec.  I am now getting about
27.5 mpg on the highway at 70 mph in with the overdrive on.  Now here's the
question.  In 2nd and 3rd gear, under hard acceleration, I get knocking at
4000 rpm and above (actually I think the tach reads high, but it says 4000
when the knock starts).  My distributor was suposedly rebuilt about 2 yrs
ago, so the weights and springs should be good (that is if I trust my
mechanic, which I do).  Should I retard the timing from the spec., should I
live with the noise, or should I check my mechanic's rebuild job?  The engine
has not been overheating while running at highway speeds, so I am not too
concerned yet, just really annoyed with the knocking.  Anyone have
suggetions?

Phil Bates
67 MGB
75 Jaguar XJ12C