coolant recovery

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: coolant recovery
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 08:20:50 +0500
Fellow fiends:

I have a few questions regarding coolant recovery systems.  First off: how
do they work?  A resevior is attached to the overflow pipe of the car's
coolant system?  I assume that when coolant is forced out at that pipe (by
the preasure due to increased temp) that it is collected in the recovery
resevoir.  How does it get back into the system?  Is the partial vacuum
created as the car cools back down again responsible for sucking it back in?
 How can it do that if the radiator cap is sealing properly?  I guess the
radiator cap is really a two way valve?  (YES/NO?)

Are there generic recovery systems that I can buy at my local parts store
and install on my B?  Didn't latter Bs have such a system (mine is a '63)?

I am toying with the idea as "Old Whitesides" seems to want to burp up a few
mls of coolant now and again and I'm topping it off about once a month now.
Am I being too fussy (say it ain't so!)?  Members of my local car-guy
support group tell me to just let it "find its own level."  Sounds sort of
zen to me but I think I know what they mean.  Not a big deal really; not a
lot of coolant and the car doesn't run hot so much as it seems to park hot
(if you know what I mean).  That is: the car runs on urban interstate rush
hours at about 190F.  It will creep up if there is a traffic jam (which
there almost always is on my city's highly efficient system of trafficways).
 Shut off the engine and then sometimes it heats up to over 212F and pushes
out some coolant.  What are other folks experiences out there?

What about installing a "summer" thermostat too (160F)?  At present the car
has a 180F thermostat.  Water wetter?

As usual, all comments/advice/criticism/money/OD trannys welcomed!

Will Zehring