coolant recovery -Reply

To: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu
Subject: coolant recovery -Reply
From: RLANCASTER@ntia.doc.gov
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 10:23:34 -0400
Will,
You have it right on how it works, there is a little valve in the
bottom of the radiator cap that works only one way, to open when the
coolant contracts and sucks back in some antifreeze from the overflow
bottle.  In theory.   Any air leaks, it doesn't work.  I bought one
years ago for my old, now gone B, and it did NOT WORK.  Overflow
caught the fluid, but it never sucked it back in.  Also, the pressure
cap has to be rated correctly for your LBC.
All of my LBCs spit antifreeze out until they got to their "own
level."  Including my current 67, which goes down about 2 inches into
the filler neck, almost past sighting any of the good green stuff.
But it never loses more, never overheats and seems happy.  If you are
having burping problems, that indicates air, that indicates leaks,
and that would prevent the coolant recovery system from working
anyway.  And the Moss book says NOT to remove the thermostat,
something about controlling the flow speed, so if you want to change
the thermo, ok, but don't toss it.
Now, since I saved YOU that money for the recovery system that  will
not work....
||Randy Lancaster               | Tel:202-482-4487        ||
||National Telecommunications   | Fax:202-482-4396        ||
||and Information Administration| rlancaster@ntia.doc.gov ||
||Department of Commerce, USA   | 1967 MGB # 128,471      ||
||Heaven: home brew, driving an MG, but remember...its not||
||a leak, its a British flow through lubrication system!  ||