Oil Pressure Relief Valve - Near Disaster

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Pressure Relief Valve - Near Disaster
From: anco@ix.netcom.com (Thomas Anderson )
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 14:10:42 -0700
Further to the thread of oil pressure relief valve.

I too have the fluctuating pressure (76B), between 50 and 75 psi,
cycling about twice per second. Engine is newly rebuilt.  And not all
the time either, randomly, and independent of any sloshing in the
cranckcase. The relief plunger has some slight wear on its sealing face
and I've ordered a replacement - lets see what happens.

The reason I have this valve out is the copper gasket under the screwin
plug failed, squirting oil out at a horrendous rate.  If the smoke from
the hot exhaust had not alerted me it would have been a wiped out
engine! The copper folded gasket had 500 miles on it straight from an
engine rebuild gasket kit from the UK. Gasket had a small nick in the
fold so I'm assuming a defective gasket from the factory. Yes it was
tightened properly.

Good engine design has all the oil passages within the block as far as
possible (any American engine).  Numerous plugs, flexible external
lines under pressure, etc. are worthy of very keen watching!

Tom Anderson
Menlo Park  CA