Re: Fuel sending unit resistance values.

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: Re: Fuel sending unit resistance values.
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 16:14:16 -0500 (CDT)
Eric L. Van Iderstine writes:
> I get more confussed the more I read what "Haynes Sez", You have a large
> difference in the resistance reading which should be correct.  I would
> not suspect the sending unit is bad.  If the unit is out, ground it to
> the dash and run a jumper from the sending unit to one side of the guage,
> should now be able to move the float assy. and watch the guage change.
> If it does not change, check for voltage going to the GUAGE, should read
> 12V.  If the voltage is there, I would say you have a bad guage.  Becare-
> ful not to short out the 12v going to the guage and only use the output
> side of the guage.

Small correction:  The fuel gauge and the temp gauge, at least on the
later cars, are fed a constant 10V from the (you guessed it) voltage
stabilizer mounted under the dash.

I don't remember if the original poster's car is recent enough to have
this doojiggy or not...

--

Todd Mullins
todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil     On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer with a properly grounded voltage stabilizer