VB: ongoing project

To: Mg questions <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: VB: ongoing project
From: "Engstrom Par, Bergslag" <par.engstrom@bergslag.telia.se>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 95 13:03:00 PDT

 ----------
From: Engstrom Par, Bergslag
Till: mgs-owner
Angaende: SV: ongoing project
Datum: den 13 juli 1995 11.05
Prioritet: Hog

>greetings, I'm slowly working away at the rebuilding of suspension and
front
>end of a 72MGB.  have replaced king pins, bushings and shocks and will take
>look at steering mechanism next.  I notice there is a fair amount of oil
>around the junction box cover on the Rack but would like to know what to
look
>for to determine if "real work" is needed when I open it up.  In regards to
>the steering,  it's very tight, so tight that the wheel has very little
>return on its own and you must bring it back around yourself.  Is this the
>norm??

If the steering rack has been disturbed/misaligned the steering
stiffens up,if you haven't got the special tool maybe
you can do it the way i did.
jack up the car,then having an assistant turn the wheel
and feel for tightness then on a trial & error basis replace/remove
the shims between the steering rack and front crossmember.

Par, Sweden