Re: Ignition Problems

To: Mgtd51@aol.com
Subject: Re: Ignition Problems
From: TRIFARI@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 01:18:36 -0400
On 95-07-15 mgtd51@aol.com wrote:

>Duringthe rebuild of my 51TD, I purchased a replacement coil.  It is >not
>original LUCAS equipment.  Instead of the coil terminals being >denoted as
SW
>and CB, they are + and -.  The car is a positive ground.

>My questions;

>Which terminal on the coil is attached to the distributor?

CB is Contact Breaker and the wire to the points should connect there.  SW is
ignition.  Coil tertminals are also generally marked + and -.  However, in
neg ground coils used in pos ground cars, tehre may be some confusion.  The
contacts should always be connected to the coil at the terminal marked with
the polarity of the ground of your car.  Normally, that would be SW (+) CB
(-).  However, since you have a pos ground car, the coil should be recversed.
 The connection will go from the igniiton to the CB trerminal, from SW to the
contacts.  Another reason to go neg ground!!! John Trifari  1955 Healey BN1
converted to neg ground to avoid confusions suhc as this/1980 MGB