Re: your mail

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: your mail
From: "Eric L. Van Iderstine" <elv1@ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 13:02:11 -0500 (CDT)
On Tue, 18 Jul 1995 ciaffone@nando.net wrote:

> I just yanked the tank (heh) on my 72 Midget.
> It's full up with high-grade gasoline!!
> The plastic fuel float has a 3/8" slice right
> where the wire loop goes around it.  Any ideas on
> how to mend it or with what to replace it??  I'm
> thinking of either superglue or a biggg cork.

A few weeks ago, I suggested using a soldering iron for a pinhole in the
plastic float (I fixed one on a spit that way).  The plastic may be
melted back together, and you won't have the fear of glue/sealants
dissolving in the tank.

If your "slice" isn't too wide, the same thing will work.

If the slice is more of a rectange, you could source some similar
plastic from another part that is meant to stand up to fuel (maybee one
of those $3.00 plastic fuel filters at walmart) to cut, fit and melt
together.

Eric

Eric L. Van Iderstine - ME - Mississippi State University
elv1@Ra.MsState.Edu     http://www2.msstate.edu/~elv1
74 MGB & 85 Buick (until I finish the MG)

"An object at rest cannot be stopped." The evil midnight bomber
what bombs at midnight    FROM "THE TICK"