Choice of fuel

To: Kevin.Sullivan@sfo-nichols.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Choice of fuel
From: "David M Culgan" <culgandm@ggdns.gg.dupont.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 95 10:19:02 EDT
In message <Pine.SOL.3.91.950719080423.16470A-100000@bugs> Kevin Sullivan
writes:
> Well, I had set the point gap and static timing correctly and the car ran
> better than before, but it still felt retarded.  I think this engine has
> a cr of 8.3 to 1.  Should it run fine on 87 octane unleaded?  It does,
> except for a little occasional run on because of carbon deposits in the
> head and on the pistons.

The one thing I remember most about my dad and his '57 MGA (1500), throughout
the '60's, was that he always insisted that it was fueled with Amoco's highest
grade, which today would be 93 octane. Besides the high octane, it gave me the
impression that something was different about this brand gasoline, the term
"white" comes to mind. And today although I'm cheap when it comes to buying  a
lot of parts for my MG's, that's one thing I insist on too, maybe I'm just
superstitious.

Dave Culgan
66 MGB
70 MGB GT
and his dad's MGA (rescued after having left the family for 10 years)